Union Chapel was founded by members of two churches in Bath that wanted to establish a place of worship in Combe Down to serve the growing population of the stone mining village.
The two churches were of different denominations, Baptist and Congregational, and so the name 'Union' was chosen and the church began as an independent ministry in 1815.
The first congregation was recorded as 14 people. In 1850 the first pastor was appointed – Mr T Annely who remained until 1888.
A gallery was added in 1864. In 1880 the rear wall of the main chapel was moved back some six feet to permit the organ to be brought down from the gallery. The upper floor was added to the schoolroom in 1909 to provide five extra classrooms for the growing Sunday School. In 1957 another hall was built, again to provide more space for the children’s work.
Union is now a Grade II* listed building. During the Second World War the local school and the Red Cross used our building.